Monday, April 19, 2010

G-Land Surf Guide From New Zealand

G-Land Surf Guide From New Zealand

By Jarred Hancox


Within the first year I surfed, the 1995 Quiksilver G-Land Pro ran. Being a 15 year old surf frothing goofy footed grommet, I dreamed of one day departing the chilly waters of Taranaki, New Zealand, and scoring the waves in the G-Land surf.
8 years later in 2003 my dreams finally came to life as I made my maiden voyage to Indonesia, a must stop destination for any surfer. The first week was spent in Kuta, endlessly bargaining with shop-keepers, crazy motorbike rides to Uluwatu and Padang Padang, and eating out for so cheap!
Next stop: G-Land! 10 days booked in at a surf camp there, I was on the overland van doing the overnight sojourn that took me to West Bali, across to Java on the ferry, down to Grajagan Harbour, and then a Speedboat ride across to the famous G-Land surf.
Variable conditions presented themselves during my stay, as it was the end of the season, late October. Unfortunately after my 2nd surf on the first day, food poisoning set in and I was the sickest I'd been in my whole life. 2 days of torture followed. Anyway, that still left a week of surfing. On the last couple of days the legendary Speedies broke and I got a sampling of what G-Land could really do - big round thick barrels!
Every year after I returned time and time again. 05 & 06 I stayed 2 months at a time. 05 was particularly memorable as big swell after big swell marched through and Speedies broke on a regular basis. My barrel riding skills went up ten-fold this year, and I also scored the best Speedies I have ever surfed to date, psycho 6-8ft top-to-bottom cylinders, and that was the second half of Speedies!
Now I have a job at the first and original surf camp in G-Land, and I go there during the New Zealand winters to surf guide and get my share of shacks. The place I once fascinated about has become a regular part of my life, and maybe I'll catch you in the G-Land green room
Jarred Hancox
G-Land Bobby's Surf Camp Surf Guide
http://www.g-land.co.nz/waves/waves.htm
G-Land Waves: Detailed info about the waves in G-Land including pictures and video

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Jarred_Hancox

http://EzineArticles.com/?G-Land-Surf-Guide-From-New-Zealand&id=3811548

No comments: